Ivan Bakanov, the head of Ukraine’s state security service, said on Tuesday that Russia’s military buildup at the border had not been diffused. Last month, Russia’s defence ministry announced it had begun pulling out its troops and military units out of annexed Crimea.
However, a top Ukrainian general warned the country it must still prepare for the worst and be ready for a potential conflict with Russia at any time.
Major General Serhii Kryvonos pointed out he did not believe an open war could be ruled out after Mr Putin’s announcement regarding a partial withdrawal of troops from the border.
While the armed forces were ready for an imminent clash, the rest of the country was not and was “in a panic”, he told Espresso TV.
He added: “In the war, we need to expect the worst scenario and prepare for it.”
The Deputy Secretary of the Ukrainian Security and Defense Council explained that he did not expect Ukraine to be able to join NATO.
He said the best resource Ukraine could hope for was for logistical backing from the Western military alliance.
He said: “Apart from NATO, we must look for other ways.
“And we have them. This is obtaining the status of a US Strategic Partner outside of NATO membership.”