A Texas nonprofit won a no-bid contract worth as much as $530 million to provide care for the increasing number of migrant children arriving at the US border after it hired a former Biden transition official, according to a report.
The company, Family Endeavors, won the contract months after it hired Andrew Lorenzen-Strait, a former Immigration and Customs Enforcement official who advised the administration on Department of Homeland Security policy, Axios reported on Wednesday.
Lorenzen-Strait also ran a consulting firm that advised companies on federal purchasing contracts, the report said, and has expertise on various agencies, including the Administration for Children and Families — a division of the Department of Health and Human Services.
HHS is responsible for detaining and processing the children.
Family Endeavors got another $87 million DHS contract last month, the Washington Examiner reported, noting the link to Lorenzen-Strait.
Then the Administration for Children and Families contracted with Family Endeavors to provide “emergency intake” services at a temporary federal facility in Pecos, Texas, Axios reported.
The report said federal procurement records show the Administration for Children and Families has disbursed $255 million to the nonprofit as part of the contract, which has a maximum potential of $530 million.
The Administration for Children and Families did not respond to a request for comment by Axios.
Family Endeavors said the work is “a continuation of services we have delivered to the migrant population since 2012.”
Axios said the no-bid contract is the second-largest ever awarded by the Administration for Children and Families for child migrant services.
News of the contract comes as the Biden administration is struggling to handle the surging numbers of child migrants, as more than 21,000 minors are in government custody.
New images from a detention facility in Donna, Texas, show how it has expanded substantially in the past weeks as the Biden administration scrambles to respond to the huge influx of minors at the border, Fox News reported.
The images compiled by Fox News show how quickly the crisis is growing.
Comparing photos of the facility taken on March 31 and Wednesday shows a marked increase in the number of temporary tent structures and additional cars in its parking lot.
The Donna facility had been filled with 4,000 migrants with 500 to 600 packed into pods designed to handle no more than 32, Fox News reported.
In a statement, HHS told Fox that the site is temporary and the “additional capacity is urgently needed to manage the increasing numbers” of illegal immigrant children.