Prince Harry warned he has 'missed an opportunity' with release date of explosive memoir

5 mins read


Prince Harry has “missed an opportunity” by pushing back the publication of his book until next year, a royal commentator has warned. However, the Royal Family will nevertheless be “very worried” by the book release, which was yesterday widely reported to have been fixed as January 10, Jonathan Sacerdoti has said.

If correct, the date, published by the New York Times yesterday 18 months after the deal was struck, would mean the book will hit the shelves after the Christmas rush.

Mr Sacerdoti told Express.co.uk if the release date reports were accurate, it meant the public would finally get a chance to read his version of events.

Referring to the Queen’s famous phrase with respect to claims of racism levelled by Meghan Markle in the couple’s explosive 2020 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Mr Sacerdoti said: “Harry has promised to give an accurate telling of his life but of course, people have been worried his recollections may vary from those of others in his family.

“We will eventually get to see if they vary from those in his Netflix production and the interviews he and Meghan Markle have given as well since leaving the UK.

“There have been rumours that the couple and their PR teams have been working hard to make sure all these retellings of events match up.”

Mr Sacerdoti acknowledged that the book would doubtless be extremely popular and would sell in “huge numbers”.

READ MORE: Putin told nuclear threats won’t prevent defeat in Ukraine

“Instead they have probably used the opportunity to add material about the Queen’s death and her funeral.”

Though Harry is ”unlikely to be a gifted writer” his ghostwriter – believed to be JR Moehringer – may nevertheless make the book a “good read”, Mr Sacerdoti stressed.

He said: “There is still massive interest in his life, from the details of growing up in the royal family to the inside view of the now King and Diana’s failing marriage and her eventual death, to his army service and marriage to Meghan Markle.

“No doubt it will also cover his leaving the UK and having therapy as well as his current attempts to make money abroad and to promote a new image in the world of celebrity.

“At the very least it’ll be a useful manifesto revealing what he wants people to think of him which we can all then measure against the reality of what how he’s seen by the public.

“The two may well be quite different.“

In a statement issued when the book deal was announced, Harry said: “I’m writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become.

“I’ve worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story – the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned – I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think.

“I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful.”

Random House has said the book will be an “intimate” and “heartfelt” look into the “experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him”.

Express.co.uk has contacted the Sussexes via Archewell, as well as Penguin Random House, for comment.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog