Prince Harry feared he 'had to sex up' memoir after 'touchy-feely' first draft rejected

5 mins read


Prince Harry’s book went “back and forth” between its writers and publishers a few times as the Duke of Sussex wanted to “refine things” following the death of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II and Penguin Random House wanted “more” than what had been shared in the memoir’s first draft, it has been claimed. This reportedly sparked fears the Duke may have included more damaging allegations against the Royal Family, criticism of members of the Firm and even comments on how Princess Diana was treated within the institution.

Speaking about the memoir’s writing process, a source claimed to The Sun: “The book has been back and forth between Harry and JR Moehringer and the publishers a few times.

“They wanted more than was in the first draft, and then Harry wanted to refine things after the Queen passed away.

“But there has been extra toing and froing that people don’t know about. This is because the publishers wanted more areas covered and more detail on some things that were already included.

“There is a real concern that means Harry has had to sex up the book and include revelations that even he might not even be that comfortable with.”

The publisher, the Sun went on to claim, is thought to have pushed back on the first draft of Spare for being too “touchy-feely”.

It had been previously reported there were fears the Duke could hit out at Camilla, the Queen Consort, in his book.

Neither Prince Harry nor Penguin Random House have confirmed reports the book was written with the help of award-winning ghostwriter JR Moehringer, who penned the best-seller memoir of tennis champion Andre Agassi among others.

The Duke and the publishing company have also remained tight-lipped on the size of the deal, despite reports claiming Harry was given an advance payment neighbouring £17.2million.

A publishing source claimed it is understood Harry was given a second instalment on delivery of an “acceptable” manuscript. 

READ MORE: Harry and Meghan told they could ‘lose titles’ if book attacks royals

Express.co.uk has contacted representatives of the Duke of Sussex and Penguin Random House for comment.

No matter the size of the book deal, the Duke has pledged to benefit British charities with his proceeds from the memoir.

He has already donated $1.5million to Sentebale, the charity supporting vulnerable children living with HIV/AIDS in Lesotho and Botswana he co-founded in 2006, and will give £300,000 to WellChild, his patronage helping children living with life-limiting and severe illnesses to be treated at home.

More than one year after it was first announced Prince Harry was authoring an “intimate” memoir, Penguin Random House released more details about the upcoming book. 

DON’T MISS 

To be released on January 10 2023, Spare has been described as a “landmark publication full of insight, revelation, self-examination, and hard-won wisdom about the eternal power of love over grief”.

The book, which the publisher said presents “raw, unflinching honesty”, will include how Princess Diana’s death affected her second son.

A description released on Thursday read: “It was one of the most searing images of the twentieth century: two young boys, two princes, walking behind their mother’s coffin as the world watched in sorrow—and horror.

“As Diana, Princess of Wales, was laid to rest, billions wondered what the princes must be thinking and feeling—and how their lives would play out from that point on. For Harry, this is that story at last.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog