Prince Andrew seen driving in Windsor after 'private christening' for Princess Beatrice's daughter

8 mins read

[ad_1]

Prince Andrew was spotted driving in Windsor after attending a ‘private christening’ in London for his grand-daughter Sienna.

The Duke of York, 62, was seen behind the wheel of his car, driving near Windsor Castle on Saturday after attended the event on Friday. 

He reportedly arrived in a £22,000 Bentley to the private affair, which the seven-months-old daughter of Princess Beatrice and Edo Mappeli Mozzi being christening at St James’s Palace, where the couple are living. 

According to the Sun, Prince Andrew’s ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, 62, also attended the function. 

The Duke of York, 62, was seen behind the wheel of his car, driving near Windsor Castle on Saturday after attended the'private christening' of his seven-months-old granddaughter Sienna at St James's Palace in London on Friday

The Duke of York, 62, was seen behind the wheel of his car, driving near Windsor Castle on Saturday after attended the ‘private christening’ of his seven-months-old granddaughter Sienna at St James’s Palace in London on Friday

The small christening saw a dozen of friends join Beatrice, 33, and Edo, 38, for the hour-long ceremony, which is believed to have taken place at the palace’s Chapel Royal.  

Andrew missed the birth of Sienna in September because he was staying put in Balmoral, while the lawyers for Victoria Giuffre tried to serve him with legal papers in person. 

A source described the day as ‘a private family event.’

The Queen, 96, did not attend the gathering and held two virtual audiences from Windsor Castle.  

This Andrew sighting is the latest since he has helped the Queen to her seat during an emotional service of Thanksgiving for the Duke of Edinburgh on March 29 at Westminster Abbey.   

Princess Beatrice, second right and Edo Mappelli Mozzi, 38, were joined by a dozen of friends and loved ones for the event. Earlier this week, they travelled to Sweden where they met with Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Princess Beatrice, second right and Edo Mappelli Mozzi, 38, were joined by a dozen of friends and loved ones for the event. Earlier this week, they travelled to Sweden where they met with Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia 

The Duke of York has made himself scarce since he has agreed to pay Victoria Giuffre an estimated £10million to settle her case against him without accepting liability.

Meanwhile, it has been reported that the Queen won’t strip her son of the title that she gave him over 30 years ago in 1986, royal sources have claimed.

It came after councillors have voted to strip the Duke of York of his freedom of that city and called for him to have his dukedom removed.

The prince was branded ‘an utter disgrace’ during the extraordinary meeting to debate his Freedom of the City honour, which was awarded to him in 1987. After discussing the motion for around half an hour, councillors unanimously voted to strip him of the title.

After attending the event - where his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson was also present - on Friday, the Duke of York returned to Windsor

After attending the event – where his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson was also present – on Friday, the Duke of York returned to Windsor 

His continued clinging to the title Duke of York was described as as ‘stain’ on the city and councillors are now calling on the Queen, Palace or government to step in and strip him of the title if he refuses ‘to do the right thing’ and resign.

The council also noted objections from the public calling for the prince be banned from attending horse racing events in the city. Another said he should be referred to as ‘Andrew Windsor’ in the future.

A source told the Mirror: ‘The Queen certainly will not take any further action in that regard.

It is believed Sienna, who was born in September, was christened at the palace's Chapel Royal like her Cambridge cousins

It is believed Sienna, who was born in September, was christened at the palace’s Chapel Royal like her Cambridge cousins

‘The Duke of York has stepped back from public life and already had a range of titles and associations removed and Her Majesty’s position has not deviated from that.’

Andrew had been warned in advance that he would be losing the freedom of the city, an honour bestowed on him on February 23, 1987, as a wedding gift to Sarah Ferguson. He is the first person ever to have the Freedom of the City removed, councillors were told. There were two formal abstentions – from the Lord Mayor and Lord Mayor elect.

Lib Dem Darryl Smalley, City of York Council’s executive member for culture, leisure & communities proposed the motion and says he should also now lose the Duke of York title.

He said: ‘The Honorary Freedom of York is the highest honour we, as a city, can bestow on those who represent the very best of York. The honour is held by many notable and accomplished people who carry it with pride and responsibly.

‘Having been stripped of his military roles and royal patronages by the Queen, we believe that it is right to remove all links that Prince Andrew still has with our great city.

‘I was pleased to see councillors of all parties support this motion and make it clear that it is no longer appropriate for Prince Andrew to represent York and its residents.

‘The removal of this honorary title sends the right message that we as a city stand with victims of abuse. The next logical step is now for Prince Andrew to do the right thing and relinquish his Duke of York title.

‘If he fails to do so, the Government and Buckingham Palace must step in to remove his title to finally end Prince Andrew’s connection to York.’

It follows a slew of authorities, institutions, schools and even golf clubs, which have all sought to distance themselves from the disgraced duke since he settled his civil case with Jeffrey Epstein sex trafficking victim Virginia Giuffre.

In the wake of the case, which was settled in February, the 62-year-old was also stripped of his military roles and royal patronages and was told he would no longer be known as ‘His Royal Highness’.

Both Buckingham Palace and a spokesperson for the Duke of York declined to comment.

York City Council considered the motion: ‘The Council resolves that, pursuant to Section 249 of the Local Government Act 1972, the City of York Council withdraws the Honorary Freeman of the City status from the Duke of York which was conferred upon him in 1987.’

The meeting at York Race Course started with an impassioned plea from York resident Gwen Swinburn, who is well known for her clashes with the council.

She said: ‘This motion could not have been any weaker. Mr Andrew Windsor is an utter disgrace. He brings shame and reputational damage everywhere he goes including to our city.

 

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog