COLUMBUS, Ohio — One Ohio State University student has died, another is in critical condition, and a third was treated after apparent drug overdoses Wednesday at an off-campus house, the university announced Thursday.
In a letter sent to students by OSU President Kristina Johnson declined to identify the victims, saying the university would not share personal information. She warned students of the dangers of using drugs because of sales of contaminated drugs.
“It is critical for everyone’s safety to be aware of the possibility of contaminated drugs in our community,” Johnson said in the letter.
Columbus Public Health on Thursday shared an alert about fake Adderall pills, which appear to contain the deadly opioid fentanyl, causing an increase in overdoses and hospitalizations in the Ohio State University campus area.
On Wednesday night, just before 11 a.m., Columbus Fire medics responded to a residence on the first block of East Lane Avenue just east of North High Street on a report of three drug overdoses, Columbus dispatchers confirmed. Two victims were transported to a hospital in critical condition, and another in stable condition.
What’s everyone talking about? Sign up for our trending newsletter to get the latest news of the day
‘Need to equip teens with the knowledge’:Teen overdose deaths are spiking despite drug usage falling, study finds
One student in critical condition later died.
Adderall is a prescription drug and stimulant used to treat Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), among other uses. However, the drug has gained a reputation for use among college students as a “study drug,” according to a National Center for Health Research study, which found 7 to 33% of all college students abuse Adderall at some point during their college years.
Melissa Shrivers, OSU’s senior vice president for student life, urged students not to purchase prescription medications from somewhere other than a pharmacy, because drugs obtained on the street could be counterfeit and laced with other chemicals.
Shivers urged students to consider picking up a free Naloxone kit or fentanyl test strips which are available at the student health center during regular business hours.