Noah Syndergaard’s planned rehab start for Single-A Brooklyn on Sunday was scuttled because he tested positive for COVID-19, according to an industry source.
The Mets initially said the right-hander was out because of a “non-baseball related injury.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
The source said there isn’t concern, at this point, Syndergaard may have spread the virus through the Mets clubhouse.
Syndergaard is vaccinated, according to manager Luis Rojas, who wouldn’t confirm the pitcher has the virus.
It’s unclear when Syndergaard will be cleared to resume workouts.
Rojas said he learned Saturday of Syndergaard’s situation.
Syndergaard, who turned 29 on Sunday, tweeted: “This birthday is so sick.”
The Mets have been hopeful Syndergaard, who is attempting to return from March 2020 Tommy John surgery, will be a bullpen option next month. He pitched one inning for Brooklyn on Thursday, surrendering a home run. He had been scheduled to stretch beyond one inning Sunday.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Even if Syndergaard returns it won’t be with his full arsenal – he’s been advised medically to refrain from throwing his slider and curveball this season. It leaves Syndergaard with a fastball and changeup, what the Mets believe will be a sustainable recipe working for one or two innings.