King Charles III appeared “relaxed” when Dominic West told him he would be playing him in the upcoming fifth series of The Crown, according to the actor. Mr West received a letter from the King’s private secretary after he contacted the palace offering to resign from his role as ambassador for the Prince’s Trust due to his casting.
However, he told Radio Times that the King responded along the lines of: “You do what you like, you’re an actor. It’s nothing to do with us.”
He also refused to accept the actor’s resignation from his charitable role, reported the Daily Mail.
King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla seem to be happy about choice to play the then-prince, with Camilla even jokingly referring to Mr West as “Your Majesty” at a party last year.
The actor, 53, also revealed he “watched the television for a week solidly” following the death of the Queen in September.
He said it was a “goldmine” for research, describing her state funeral watched by billions as “fascinating”.
Mr West expressed his admiration for King Charles and said his affection for the monarch had only grown while watching him cope with his mother’s passing.
Imelda Staunton, 66, admitted in the same interview that she had been “inconsolable” after learning of the Queen’s death while she was playing her.
READ MORE: Inside the Prince’s Palace of Monaco – royal hub Grace Kelly designed
The new series is set to air on November 9 and will feature many key moments from royal life in the 1990s.
Among those are the fire at Windsor Castle, the separation of Prince Charles and Princess Diana and Prince Philip’s blossoming friendship with Penny Knatchbull.
Jonathan Pryce and Elizabeth Debicki will star as Prince Philip and Princess Diana respectively.