Attorneys for Fotis Dulos, the Connecticut man accused of killing his estranged wife Jennifer, will not be allowed to discuss his infamous murder case for four decades under a new legal settlement.
The lawyers must also return $137,000 of the $250,000 retainer Dulos paid them before his 2020 suicide, a probate court judge said Tuesday.
The approved settlements ended lawsuits filed against defense lawyers Norman Pattis and Kevin Smith by Jennifer’s family and Fotis’ estate, according to Hearst Connecticut Media.
An estate lawyer who once suggested Jennifer staged her own disappearance negotiated the unusual 40-year gag order and financial settlement, arguing the family wants to avoid future publicity.
“The heirs of the estate were very concerned about confidentiality,” lawyer Christopher Hug told Probate Judge Evelyn Daly in Farmington on Tuesday.
Jennifer Dulos disappeared in the spring of 2019 after dropping off the couple’s five children at school.
Authorities accused Fotis of attacking his wife in her New Canaan garage after she came home from the school — then driving off with her body, which has never been found.
He denied being involved with the 50-year-old’s disappearance but was charged with murder in January of last year.
Weeks later, the 52-year-old was found unconscious in his carbon monoxide filled garage. He died weeks after the suicide attempt.
“I refuse to spend even an hour more in jail for something I had NOTHING to do with,” his suicide note read.
The wealthy couple was in the midst of a contentious divorce, and the high-profile case made international news and led to documentaries and a movie.
Fotis Dulos’ former girlfriend Michelle Troconis, and friend, lawyer Kent Mawhinney, are both facing murder conspiracy charges. They both deny having helped Dulos cover up the alleged killing.
With AP wires