Home News Florida building collapse work shifts to recovery operation

Florida building collapse work shifts to recovery operation

18
0


The search at the site of a collapsed Florida condo building has switched to a recovery operation, signaling an end to attempts to find survivors.

Grieving relatives of nearly 100 people still missing in the ruins of Champlain Towers South in Surfside were given the grim news at a briefing with officials on Wednesday.

Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told the families that rescue dogs and sonar devices were taken off the pile, even as hundreds of workers continue to sift through the debris from the June 24 collapse.

“Our sole responsibility at this point is to bring closure,” Jadallah said as some family members sobbed in the background.

Officials had resisted switching the work from a search and rescue operation — focused on finding survivors — to a recovery mission to remove bodies from the rubble.

As of Wednesday morning, 46 bodies had been found and 94 were still missing.

But workers have not found any survivors after the day of the collapse.

Gini Gonte visits the Surfside Wall of Hope & Memorial on Wednesday, July 7, 2021, as she honors her friends Nancy Kress Levin and Jay Kleiman, who lost their lives after the collapse of the Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Fla.
Relatives of nearly 100 people still missing in the ruins of Champlain Towers South were given the news of the recovery operation at a briefing with officials.
AP
Search and rescue team members climb the debris field of the 12-story oceanfront condo, Champlain Towers South along Collins Avenue in Surfside, Fla., on Wednesday, July 7, 2021.
Workers have not found any survivors since the June 24 collapse.
AP

With Post wires

Previous articlePope Francis could visit North Korea in a bid to 'initiate a new era of peace'
Next articleEU unity in TATTERS: Ursula von der Leyen flounders as MEP warns Brussels 'undermined'

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here