Dramatic new video shows the moment a propane explosion leveled a Michigan house — just minutes after a newspaper deliveryman alerted the family inside and got them to safety.
The footage from the blaze in Plainfield Township shows the garage of the home engulfed in flames as firefighters pull up shortly before 5 a.m. Saturday, WDTN-TV said.
Minutes later, the scene is rocked by a massive explosion that fire officials said was caused by a propane tank and fireworks in the garage.
A firefighter is seen walking toward the burning home in the video, then sent back down the driveway by the blast.
Fortunately, no one was hurt in the explosion, thanks to a vigilant newspaper deliveryman who came upon the scene and the family’s dogs.
Homeowner Toni Jolman said she and her family were fast asleep when the dogs started barking, waking her up.
“[I] let them in my room, heard a banging on the door,” she told WDTN. “It was an older guy. [I] kind of got scared, being a female answering the door at that time.
“He screamed that my garage was on fire,” she said.
Jolman said she roused her family, grabbed their pets and raced out of the house, getting to safety before the explosion gutted the home.
“This man, he’s an angel,” she said of the unnamed good Samaritan, who only gave his name as Greg. “Between him and my dogs, we’re here today because of this man. Greg, thank you, whoever you are. Thank you.”
Jolman said her family has lost everything and is staying with relatives, while her son’s fiancee has set up a GoFundMe account to help the family.
“I told my daughter, things can be taken, memories can’t,” she told WDTN. “Home is made by people in it, not the things.”