Conor Benn 'faces new drugs probe' after claim he failed another test for 'same stuff'

3 mins read


Conor Benn is reportedly being investigated over claims that he has failed a second drugs test. The accusation suggests that he returned adverse findings for the same banned substance prior to the one that lead to the cancellation of the Chris Eubank Jr fight on October 8.

The Destroyer is already facing a potential four-year ban from the sport but if the investigation proves that the claim is true then he could be facing further sanctions including a longer ban. According to the Daily Mail, Benn is claimed to have failed another drugs test earlier this year. 

One eminent source, when asked to confirm the positive finding, told the newspaper: “Yes. Earlier this year. Same stuff.”

Express Sport have approached Benn and his promotional company Matchroom for comment.

“I am still completely shocked and surprised by this and it has been a tough couple of days, My team and I will consider the next options including rescheduling the fight, but my immediate focus is on clearing my name because I am a clean athlete!”

His father Nigel too claimed that his son was a ‘clean athlete’ in a video posted to social media, saying: “Hi guys, as you know we’re in total shock,” said Nigel. “I’ve been with my son for the last ten weeks and the training has absolutely gone the best it could have been. He’s a dedicated trainer, he leaves no stone unturned, and we’ll get to the bottom of this, I love my son.

“I know he don’t cut no corners; he just goes straight at it 100 per cent but we’ll keep you informed, we’ll let you know what the next step is. But he’s a faithful trainer and a clean athlete, speak to you all soon, God bless.”

Benn and Eubank Jr were due to meet each other last weekend in a 157lb catchweight bout at the O2 Arena, London. Promoters Eddie Hearn and Kalle Sauerland have affirmed that the fight will take place at a later date.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog